Episode 47- 5 Reasons why classes may disappear
Dec 28, 2020
I hear it...I don’t know what happened. I registered for the course and it just disappeared. Here are the top 5 reasons why they may happen.
- Past due bill
Course was canceled
- Paid is full is usually what it takes to keep classes. Do you know the due date?
- If not paid in full was a payment plan arranged with bursar. Get a name of who you talked to. They may be able to get courses reinstated if someone forgot to make a notation.
- Some have a $5 threshold for dropping for payment while others have a larger balance past due. Ask.
No longer eligible to remain in course
- Departments watch enrollment. If a class doesn’t reach a certain number of enrolled students then it doesn’t financially make sense to teach it.
- Did a faculty member leave with no replacement
- Budget cuts. Universities are hurting with all the covid PPE, refunds, dropped enrollment
It went online
- Failed the prereq
- The schedule of classes will note prereqs
- A course or courses
- Grades- some allow as low as D- but many require C- or higher
- Did they do P/N option which could be the issue
- Restricted to a major
- Did they recently change majors
- Did they drop a major or a minor that made them eligible
- Meaning it’s not gone but with no scheduled meeting day/time/location it doesn’t appear where your student is looking.
- Look somewhere else.
No matter the reason your student needs to have a plan and work with their advisor now.